IIoT Edge Gateway Software
Ignition Edge IIoT is software that turns virtually any embedded PC or field device, such as an industrial PC or even a Raspberry Pi, into a lightweight, MQTT-enabled, edge gateway¹ that works seamlessly with Ignition IIoT and Sparkplug enabled applications. It is an affordable, lightweight, limited version of Ignition with its tools and environment supplied with the MQTT Transmission Module targeted for the edge providing the connectivity to data from PLCs, RTUs and other sensors.
Ignition Edge IIoT uses the highly efficient MQTT protocol to transmit data to any MQTT broker and supports the open source Sparkplug data-encoding topic and payload specification.
Ignition Edge IIoT turns any device, touch panel, rack-mount server, or client terminal, into an edge gateway, with unlimited tag support. Edge MQTT converts data from connected PLCs and RTUs into MQTT and publishes it to an MQTT broker in a way that can be easily received by the MQTT Engine Module.
The Benefits of Ignition Edge:
- Multi-functional: Use as a local HMI, Agent Gateway or an Edge Gateway
- Affordable: Priced to use in bulk, without breaking the bank
- Easy to install: Installs on virtually any industrial device
- Built on trusted IT standards: Java, OPC-UA, MQTT
- Ideal for OEMs: Embed features such as HMIs, alarming, OPC-UA, with unlimited tags and up to one week of data history.
- Industry-leading support: The industry’s best tech support and training
Access Data from PLCs & OPC-UA Servers
For easy PLC connection, all Ignition Edge products come with unlimited tag support and are equipped with OPC-UA along with the one protocol driver that can be Modbus, Siemens, and Allen-Bradley suite of drivers. Other drivers supported by Ignition, such as DNP3, are available to add onto Ignition Edge products for an additional cost.
Ignition Edge Solutions
There are four other Ignition Edge software products that can be mixed and matched in any combination with Ignition Edge IIoT²:
- Ignition Edge Panel
- Ignition Edge Compute
- Ignition Edge Sync Services
- Ignition Edge EAM
Adding the Ignition Edge Panel software component provides an embedded HMI functionality with robust Ignition features. Features include, one local client, one remote web client for mobile access, and alarming features including email notification. The Ignition Edge Panel includes a client fallback feature for mission-critical applications requiring fail safe measures.
The Ignition Edge Compute adds the ability to run scripts without needing a server. Features allow external systems to interact with the Ignition server. This product allows you to unlock the power of scripting at the network’s edge. Easily add powerful intelligence and web services to your edge-of-network device. Ignition Edge Sync Services acts as a limited remote server that uses a hub-and-spoke architecture with store-and-forward for up to a week of data. That data is sent to a central Ignition Gateway in case a failure takes place.
Ignition Edge EAM integrates with the Ignition Enterprise Administration Module and adds features such as automatic remote backup and upgrades, central project and restoration management, alarm notification, etc. This product acts as a remote EAM Agent Gateway and can easily combine with any other Edge edition for central management.
Ignition Edge Onboard
Ignition Edge is powerful, MQTT-enabled, and designed specifically for use in industrial devices. That’s why a growing number of OEMs are installing and licensing Ignition Edge on their products as part of the Ignition Onboard program.
Browse the Onboard partner products https://inductiveautomation.com/onboard
For tutorials and support on using the MQTT Transmission Module with Ignition Edge IIoT, please go here.
- Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2008/2012
- Windows 7, 8, and 10
- Ubuntu Linux 12.04 or later
- Other Java SE-enabled OSes 5
Supported MQTT Servers
The MQTT Distributor Module and any server compliant with the 3.1.1 MQTT protocol OASIS standard.
- Ignition v7.7.6 +
- Java SE 8 (server)
- Java SE 6, 7, or 8 (client)
- 1024 MB RAM 6
- 1 GB free HD space
- MQTT Server(s)
- Ignition Edge products cannot be installed on an Ignition Gateway
- Ignition Core modules cannot be installed on Ignition Edge products
- Edge Panel and Enterprise come with one week of internal data storage, do not include database support
- Some features of Edge Enterprise require EAM to be installed on the central Ignition Gateway
- Ignition is compatible with any Java SE 8-enabled OS. Full support is only offered for listed OSes.
- Requirements vary by usage.